Monday, August 22, 2005

P.O.2

Racial Stereotypes aplenty. It seems that in the lobby of a Paris youth hostel one can find a plenitude of racial stereotypes. After a pleasant evening spent in the center of Paris I return to my hostel in MontMartre to check my email and partake in one of my favourite pastimes, half-listening to other people's conversations as I read my book... and some of these people are loud!

On the phone a young American girl shouts down the phone to her parents and announces so everyone can hear that "Europe is the worst country I've ever been to! I hate it!" Indeed....

In the corner the occasional shout of "I'd like to have whatever she's smoking" echoes from the Australian contingent whilst two Japanese girls clutch together, giggling immensely as they go to the counter to try to explain to the sullen, chainsmoking Frenchman that they cannot unlock the door to their room.

In the other corner a Swede writes fastidiously in his notebook; the same Swede who decided that he wanted to join me for coffee in the morning and tell me about his practise of whittling wood. Also, bad shoes.

And then me, a few too many glasses of wine and red hair making up the stereotypical Irishwoman whilst simultaneously conforming to the stereotypical philosopher; a hefty tomb by Deleuze and a glower for any layman who want to engage with me on their own philosophical theories.

Oh la la.

2 Comments:

Blogger dogmat said...

nice new blog. I especially like the random description-quote mechanism you have set up (more sophisticated comments to follow in due course).

5:04 pm  
Blogger Siobhan said...

I'm collecting comments for it at the minute so if you can suggest any please let me know. Also, if you want I can email you the code so you can have one for your own blog

12:04 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home